Mercury is an element that is found naturally in the Earth’s crust and is present in our air, water and quite often in our food. It takes several forms including elemental Mercury, in-organic and organic Mercury. All are harmful to some extent to humans but some are much more harmful than others. When Mercury is deposited into the soil or oceans certain micro-organisms can interact with Mercury forming methyl-Mercury. Methyl-Mercury is extremely toxic and is often found in shell fish, fish and animals that eat fish. Including Humans!

Mercury is an extremely dangerous neuro-toxin that has serious effects on humans when absorbed or ingested including impairment of peripheral vision, speech, hearing and walking, muscle weakness, tremors, emotional changes, insomnia, weakness, muscle atrophy, twitching, headaches, disturbances in sensations, changes in nerve responses, and impaired cognitive function. Increased exposure may also result in kidney failure, respiratory failure and even death.

What are the sources of exposure to Mercury?

Mercury, while found naturally, is also released into our environment from a variety of sources. Coal-fired energy plants that release hundreds of thousands of tons of Mercury each year directly into our environment where it will be carried on the wind and will settle into the soil, are probably the primary source of Mercury exposure. Other contacts points where you might absorb Mercury are fish, shell-fish, animals that eat fish, thermometers, fluorescent light bulbs, dental amalgams, vaccines including the flu vaccine, and batteries.

What can you do about exposure to Mercury?

There are two things you need to do in relation to Mercury toxicity.

*Avoid as many contact points with Mercury as possible.

*Remove the Mercury that has already absorbed into your body and is causing health issues

We know that Mercury is found in our air, water, food and several consumer products. To help avoid exposure I recommend filtering your interior air with a HEPA air filter, filter your drinking water, avoid those fish and sea food that traditionally contain higher levels of Mercury like tuna, shark and swordfish. Remove dental amalgams that are leaking Mercury and other toxic heavy metals directly into your body, replace old thermometers and other consumer products that contain Mercury. All of this may not be easy to do for everyone but any reduction in exposure to Mercury can be very helpful.

Once you remove contact points for exposure or even at the same time you need to remove the Mercury that has already been absorbed into your body. There are several items or chelators that help remove Mercury from your body including chlorella and DMPS. But the most effective chelator of Mercury and widest range of toxic heavy metals is EDTA. Traditionally EDTA has been given by I.V. infusion or with ineffective Oral EDTA products. I.V. EDTA infusions, while effective, are time consuming and expensive and additional blood tests are often required to make sure your liver and kidneys can handle the additional load.

The most effective, safest and cost efficient EDTA Chelation product on the market today is KelaminHM EDTA suppositories. EDTA from a suppository is over 95% absorbed through the colon wall plus the EDTA stays in your system over 4 times longer than EDTA from an I.V. Extra blood tests are also not required when using KelaminHM. KelaminHM costs over 70% LESS than I.V. EDTA. KelaminHM is also less expensive and offers higher dosages than other EDTA suppository products including Kelatox and Detoxamin.